Friday 27 February 2015

Reflections on Yangon

One of my followers has intimated that my blogs are very long, as in too long, so just for her (you know who you are!) a pictorial record of a few sights in Yangon:


Above: City Hall


Sule Pagoda, in the middle of the busiest roundabout in Yangon, you either walk round the outside or go through it. Should you choose to go through the inside you are charged $3 as a foreigner.


And lit at night


The gardens opposite City Hall


And the rules for said garden.


The Baptist Church opposite City Hall


The local cinema


The National Theatre: I went there specially to take a photo for my theatre loving daughter, but sadly the one-legged man at the gate seemed to take exception to me photographing the building and came rushing after me (well, as much as you can run with only one leg and brandishing a crutch at an obviously unwelcome visitor) to make me leave, all very odd, it wasn't exactly a military installation.  Thinking about this peculiar incident later I wondered if maybe he thought that I was under the impression that this building was the National Museum and he was just trying to tell me, albeit in a somewhat clumsy manner?



The Burmese version of recycling


A local bus (and that's one of the better ones!)



Part of the rail track!


The local gem market


Sunset from Sky Bistro, on the 20th floor of Sky Tower


Lighting up time, Sule Pagoda in the distance


The cocktail bar had run out of my chosen wine and only had the most expensive one available (what a surprise) so this was my alternative choice, treated to it by my NBF, a lovely Chinese girl who turned out to be a Shell executive.



I think the Grand Hotel has seen better days.



A new hotel, just about to open


But this is by the entrance, so might need a clean up before the first guests arrive. One day technology will have advanced sufficiently for you to be able to smell this photo, in the meantime just be grateful that you can't!



One side of the road .....


And on the other.

Just a few images of the contradictory nature of the city.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think they're too long and I'm enjoying doing the travelling through you, and I don't have to have the heat and smells. Keep it as long as you like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Janine, much appreciated. Didn't want you all to feel that you had too much information to wade through, but it's difficult to encapsulate the spirit of a country so different from what we are all used to without being verbose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the theatre! (And the piƱa colada)

    ReplyDelete