Friday 27 February 2015

Burma/Myanmar and Yangon/Rangoon

Burma, now known as Myanmar, has long had a reputation as a magical mystical land full of temples and pagodas, with a placid mix of monks and novices and smiling inhabitants, all full of grace and devotion to their Buddha. This air of mystery has been enhanced due to the crackdown of the military and the consequent difficulties of entering and travelling the country, its reputation therefore resting more on past tales than present day facts.

Arriving in Yangon/Rangoon, these spiritual fantasies are immediately shattered by the noise and the heat and the dust and the visible poverty. The population seem to be divided between those who cook on the streets (with a total lack of regard for any health and safety issues!) for seemingly constantly snacking inhabitants, those who ferry people around in a dizzying variety of transport modes, and those who appear to do nothing other than indolently watch the other two groups, all quite confusing.

I haven't been able to get a photo showing the real chaos on the streets as it is such mayhem that trying to get a shot would involve standing in the road and almost certainly getting run over, so I thought it possibly wasn't worth the risk! But below see a view of a group of tourists being led to the access gate of the local central garden:

The stalls really do make the place look untidy (but then so do the tourists!). Typical view of cities in this part of the world, huge modern steel and glass buildings towering over makeshift stalls and homes.

There is a Catholic Cathedral, St Mary's, which I came across on my first evening, very reminiscent of British architectural style (obviously, considering Burma used to be ruled by the British) and since a Mass was about to start I entered for the service and was pleased to see that the majority of the congregation was Burmese. A haven of peace and tranquility after the lunacy in the streets:





It was unfortunate that the following day the humidity obviously got to my poorly joints, as my hands and feet were so swollen and painful that I had to abandon any thoughts of sightseeing, as I could neither get my clothes on, nor walk, oh dear. And there was me thinking how well my RA was controlling itself in the climate - not a chance!

2 days later ...... That is how long it took me to recover, not a fun time, but onwards and upwards ......

So what could I do that would involve as little walking as possible but would still enable me to see something interesting/different/relevant? Answer: the local circle train. 3 hours on a route that went around the city and all for 500 Kyats (about $0.50, bargain!)

The route

The train

A family's 'home'

Drying the washing (poor quality picture as shot through grubby train window)
The market at the half way point of the journey was interesting fortunately:



I didn't buy anything, mainly because the train stopped for so little time at each station that I was afraid of being left behind on the platform, watching my means of escape chugging off in the distance without me!!

So I arrived back at the start some 3 hours later and decided there was only 1 way to cheer me up after the frankly pretty depressing morning of viewing how desperately some people lived, and that was of course: lunch.


Absolutely yummy and with unlimited tea, cost all of 1200 Kyats, or $1.20.

Time to end this blog, I've been neglecting you, my dear followers, so bye bye for now and lots more in my next blog, to illustrate the sights and sounds of downtown Yangon, the good, the bad, and the definitely unexpected.

2 comments:

  1. The church looks lovely, so different to the poverty in your other photos. I hope it gets better as the tour continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have liked to have taken a photo just before the start of the service to show how full the Church was, but it seemed a bit touristy and bad mannered. But it was packed, mainly with the locals, which was good to see.

    ReplyDelete