Thursday 19 February 2015

Back to Bangkok then on to Burma

Arriving back in central Bangkok late in the afternoon after my trip north left me with little free time before my departure to Burma as I had quite a bit to sort and organise. I didn't want to drag everything with me for my 17 days away and I didn't want to risk constantly hauling myself up 4 long flights to the dorm I was in so took over the small lounge area and sorted and tidied and packed and unpacked and repacked, all got a bit tedious in the end so, guess what, yes, that's right, I went out for some dinner!

The next day, the last full one before Burma, was due to be at Ancient City, about an hour south of BKK but I decided in my wisdom that I'd rather save that for another time I'm here and can have a really long day there as I've been led to believe that the site is huge so deserves a decent amount of viewing time plus by Thai standards it's not cheap (700Baht) so instead I took myself off to the furthest point on the river boat, to Nontaburi, which is reputed to have an amazinging market. 

I do agree with that, it is amazing, but not necessarily in the way I was expecting.  It's huge, it's heaving, it's jam packed, it's full of areas for flowers, meat, vegetables, and a great deal of the rest is tat, sorry to say, but that's how I saw it.  Photos below but they in no way can help you understand the street upon street upon street of stalls of every description.











And below a couple of examples of goods I suspect have not gone through the standard copyright agreements:





I presume the incorrect spelling is so that 'they' can deny ever trying to replicate the real thing?

The perishables area was a bit more 'normal':







It didn't take me too long to have had enough of the heat and the smell and the chaos and the jostling so it was back to the ferry for one of the great bargains in Bangkok, 15 Baht for the entire run from the last stop to the first. A few shots of sights on the way including the enormous monastery/temple I had come across unexpectedly a few days earlier:




 







I added that last one just to show it's not all steel and glass and modern along the river!

And so my time in Bangkok comes to an end for now.  What better way to celebrate what has been a fascinating experience?



See you all in my next blog, hopefully either on the way to or in Yangon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment