Wednesday 18 March 2015

Vang Vieng

Now in Vang Vieng, each v pronounced as a w.

The Homestay last night was weird, a relatively remote village where the lack of English was awkward. I was given a room in a house where not one word of English was spoken then we all had to spend the evening doing local dances with the children. It was a surreal experience. I had no idea what do do with my family so I took photos of them and showed them my iPad picture of Luang Prabang and some of Burma. No wifi either obviously so was delighted when the 'party' broke up at 9pm and I was able to slink off to my room!

Now installed in a hotel in the town which has an incredible view from my balcony,or it would be if it was clear. The burning is becoming more of a visual issue and I'm so pleased I am not doing this trip any later or I would see nothing in the distance and that would be a shame.

I gather this town/area is an adrenaline junkie's paradise with white water kayaking, tubing, zip wiring, scaling the sheer rock formations and so on. Shan't be attempting any of that myself! Would have hired a bike for the day for the princely sum of $2 but the town is too small to warrant it, you can walk round the whole thing in less than 2 hours and the surrounding roads are in dreadful condition so completely unsuitable for biking anyway.

Exactly half way through the trip, still can't work out if it's gone quickly or slowly. The final part will be the strange bit as so far I have nothing planned, nor even any vague idea of what I might fancy doing. Will make no decisions until I have been to Vietnam.


View from my balcony

View from my balcony

No comments:

Post a Comment