Thursday 19 March 2015

Climbs, cabbages, caves and Kalaw

A stop off on the way to Kalaw found me at what was promised as the highest temple/pagoda (still haven't worked out the difference!) in the area. What I wasn't told was that there is no lift and you have to walk up hundreds of steps, in your bare feet of course. You can see part of the stairs winding their way up the hill in the photo. There is a vantage point on another hill which itself was worth a visit:



That's the temple perched on the hill, it reminded me of Meteora in Greece, where Fiona and I spent a magical couple of days a while back. And shown below is the what greets you at the viewing area:





A short drive from here brought me to the base of the hill upon which the temple/pagoda was perched and armed with a resolve not to be defeated I set off up the steps. At the first flight you are asked for a donation for the constant sweeping of the steps, undertaken by volunteers. This you happily give - but then discover as you climb up some 15 (yes, 15!!!) long steep flights of steps that each flight has a sweeper expecting a donation. My sense of humour deserted me at about flight 4 and my wallet stayed in my backpack after that. The worst part of the climb was when an old boy of about 80 offered to push me up as he could see I was struggling and he wasn't even short of breath! I declined his kind offer and hid behind a pillar until he had gone skipping past me.

I would like to tell you that the torture of the steps was worth it for the view but sadly that would be a lie. I was more interested in the Burmese way of the disposal of rubbish than I was in the frankly not very impressive view:








But I came across this on the way down which made the morning seem a little less of an exhausting waste of time.


And this by one of the stairs entrances cheered me up a bit as well.




So, on to Kalaw where I was promised an authentic experience.

The first point was to visit the 100 year old monastery. Unfortunately no-one told them we were arriving as this is what greeted us:




No longer 100 years old but at some stage going to be brand new!

Never mind, I was looking forward to the authentic experience.

What I had not been told was that this involved a long uphill trek to a hill top village, admiring  large fields of cabbages on the way:






OK, enough cabbages, thank you.

But it was a great view and in the distance the village we were aiming for:


But I preferred it when the village was just around the corner!



Lunch was prepared for us and it was one of the best meals I had in Burma:




And that was before the fried rice arrived.

With not a bad view from where I was sitting:


Of course someone had to volunteer to be dressed in the local style and I made sure it wasn't me:



The trek down seemed harder, maybe because there were no cabbages to admire, or more likely as there was no shade and the ground was more uneven than the path we'd taken going up but eventually we got back to ground level and prepared ourselves for the next treat: a huge cave with over 5000 Buddha images (I warned you that there were plenty more to show you!)

But first we came across another parade - it's the time of year. This one was so long that we all assumed that it was the same people going round and round, but it really was not, it was just a cast of thousands, reminiscent of the crowd scene from Ben Hur!












Not sure where these 2 fitted in but I'm sure they felt the most with-it pair there:



And because the parade was in town there was a market, lots of it: 

Watermelon anyone?


Or how about a football shirt?


Or maybe a new saucepan?


Or possibly a new metal trunk? Useful for getting rid of those guests who won't leave at the end of the party!



And a treat for my son-in-law:



No more from the parade or we'll be here all year!


So, on to the cave, I promised you Buddhas so here they are:













And this is the cave I crawled into, my backpack got me stuck as I was half way in so rather embarrassingly I ended up with one person kindly pulling me in and another the other end pushing me in, oh dear! Possibly not the brightest idea I've ever had but I saw others managing to get in without difficulty so I assumed I'd manage. The moral to this story is: never assume, always check.



Still, I could always pray to Buddha:




And so on and so on..............

Enough, now on to Kalaw for a brief stop.



Kalaw's main road, exciting isn't it? David would probably think so as it's a trekking centre:



And the local shops:



And the local bus:



But of course they are building a new temple:



Definitely a one horse town, not exactly the centre of the universe but a quiet town in which to rest for 24 hours before the next adventure. I hope to see you there.

2 comments:

  1. I'm laughing my head off at the idea of you getting stuck in the cave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing my head off at the idea of you getting stuck in the cave!

    ReplyDelete