Thursday 7 May 2015

A day trip to one of Saigon's islands

Saigon has several small islands just off the mainland that provide a colourful day out for tourists. Admittedly you're supposed to buy lots of the local produce and handicraft but it's easy to resist when you remind yourself you've still got several weeks of flashpacking to finish and anything you buy has to be carried without getting broken or going mouldy or tipping you over your weight limit on internal flights.

Dragon Island was the one I chose (no jokes about the suitability of the name for me please!) and it was a short boat trip through the klongs, a stark reminder of the contrast between the modernity and wealth of Saigon and the basic way of life for 'the rest', to the island:




But things improve the closer you get to open water:


Then your first glimpse of Dragon Island:


Coming in to the landing stage:


How refreshing to see a well tended garden:


First stop on the '1 dollar for you' circuit:




It's all very tourist orientated but in a way who can blame them? I managed to resist everything on offer but many others didn't so the system works!

The island tries to be relatively self sufficient hence the concentration on growing its own food:






I don't think the new gardening assistant will get a permanent job, the bridge was far too rickety for me:


But this was the part I was really keen on despite being without my kayaking partner:




Yes, this is more like it:




I could have happily spent all day rowing along the waterway.

But back to terra firma and another attempt at going native:


No I can't see that being the life for me so I fell back on my usual answer when all else fails: lunch at the local restaurant:


Being serenaded by the local band:


Before one more quick paddle on the water:


Then back to the bright lights of the city:


That's more like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment