Monday 6 April 2015

Chiang Mai - Hippy Central

Chiang Mai is definitely an odd city. It has some amazing temples (what a surprise!) but is also heaving with YOLO backpackers who appear to be having a competition to see who can wear the skimpiest clothes at the same time as leaving little of their skin tattoo-free. Makes me feel very old as well as very relieved that I'm not that age!

Not having the first idea what to see, I took myself off for a stroll and came across a river crossing station with a wonderful looking waiting room:



Inside there was the inevitable:


A relaxing glide down the river was an appealing idea:


And I was tempted to stop off at:



But it wouldn't have been the same without Fiona. She's my enthusiastic sharer of 'Posh Afternoon Tea', and I wouldn't have felt right breezing in wearing my rather messy sightseeing-in-the-searing-heat clothes!

So onwards, reluctantly, with visions of pots of Earl Grey and dainty cakes swirling around in my head.

Very interesting Art Museum:


With this wooden sculpture outside:


And a colourful foyer:


The art on display is interactive: you can become part of the painting. I thought this was such a fun and unusual idea that I've shown many examples below:









Enjoyed these sculptures in the tiny park:




Made a change from images of The Lord Buddha!

And I crossed the river on one bridge and crossed back again on the next one:





The river is impressive running through the centre of the city:



But signs of creeping globalisation everywhere:



And of course lots of temples:











But for a change I spotted the following:







Quite unusual in this part of the world.

The City walls when I reached the were impressive:



But inside the walls it was all rather touristy and backpacker orientated which was a shame, it should have been a reflection of the past in keeping with the strength and history of the walls.

So, in the absence of romance and history inside the gates, I thought I'd tackle yet another temple. I can only presume that those who built many of the temples were incredibly fit, as so many temples are perched on top of a hill, accessible only by ridiculous numbers of steps: maybe it's all part of the devotion required but to me it's just another way of nearly having a heart attack as well as proving that I definitely need the full knee replacement I'm being threatened with!


I took one look at the number of steps up to the top and decided I could admire it from below!

The most important temple in the region is Doi Suthep temple. This is situated at the top of a very big hill so I cheated and got transport up there. Dying on the hike up would have been considered bad form. And besides, I wanted to see and hear the chanting monks:

An elephant involved in the legend of the building of the temple:


They do like their elephants in this part of the world:







And gold everywhere you look:











Ring any bells?


Enough frivolity, on to the purpose of the visit: the chanting monks:


Then 3 times round the building:



Before the prayers and blessings of the head monk:



But boys will always be boys: giggling and egging each other on at the back, out of sight of the elders!



And my answer to a hot, dusty and temple filled day:


Complete with a deliciously cold, strong and generously proportioned cocktail (or two!)

2 comments:

  1. Laughing out loud at you using"YOLO" in a sentence - and trust you to find the only place in Asia that serves afternoon tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't do this to me - I had to look up YOLO. I'm obviously out of the loop. Love the photos. Alex, my niece, also found the interactive museum and had some great photos of it. Looks as if you're having a better time in Thailand - not so much getting lost or walking miles.

    ReplyDelete